Friday, February 15, 2013

Saraswati Puja Festival

Saraswati Puja is the festival to celebrate the Goddess of Education. All over the village statues have been created to honor her. The festival is primarily celebrated by young people. I went out with my new friends yesterday around the village to meet other families. I ate so much food, I thought I was going to burst. Everyone here thinks I am fat and/or pregnant because well.. were in India.. and most of the people are very thin. I laugh it off, but have to say there is motivation to come back looking more slim next time.





Also, for the first time I experienced some back lash for being a Christian. A family friend of my in laws came by to see me, but to also explain to me what is culture and how I could not understand  because I am not a Hindu. My family stood up for me and chased him out of the house! It touched my heart so much to know that they love me, respect my beliefs, and do not let others speak badly about me. My in laws do not care about what God I worship, as long as I believe in something. This is tolerance! More people should take after their kindness and understanding.

The first photo is a picture of me and my mother in law, Asha Devi. The rest are pictures of my day out. Im having such a wonderful time in the village. And you cant tell.. but there are Peacocks all over the Sari! I had to buy it! All along the boarder as well as on the dress itself.

Today, we are preparing a huge feast for our neighbors next door. Its a bank that my father in law rents space to. 8 lbs of GOAT! I will take some photos and share later.

Cheers! 

No comments:

Post a Comment