Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Coming to you live from The North East Express

One of the oldest trains in India, the North East Express defiantly has charm...  We are a few hours into our journey, 20 more to go! I'm in the 2nd class section where the seats are also the bed. Sanjay and I packed way to much stuff. He tells me there will be someone when we get  to Katihar to help with luggage. From there we will take a Rickshaw (Jeremiah - inside joke) to his parents house.

Thanks to my travels in Greece I was prepared for the toilet on the ground. Honestly at this point, its probably the best option as far as safety/hygiene goes. I keep thinking about how my mother would react to this environment. I laugh to myself, take a deep breath and just go for it. Thank god for Clorox wipes TO GO! And I brought my own Charmin ultra soft! 

I forgot to mention in my last post that the shower experience is new as well. A cup and a bucket, but hey.. at least the water was hot!! Let me paint the picture. You sit on a plastic stool in the tub and pour water over your body with a cup and a bucket. After a few tries now, I have figured out a system. 

Last night we went out to an Indo Chinese restaurant. The best Chinese food I have ever tasted. We met up with one of Sanjays boarding school friends and his girlfriend. I feel like I've been going non stop so hopefully I will be able to get some sleep on the train. 

Love to you all!  I'll update once we get to Katihar. 

-Amanda 

1 comment:

  1. lol. Can't wait to hear about your "shower" system! Btw... thanks for the shout out! Lol. Love you girl! Love to Sanjay! I'm on a plane as soon as you're state side!

    ReplyDelete